Re[2]: Questions on EBWs and EMs

Hi all

I was the RSO at an Australian University a couple of years ago, and surveyed
the electron microscopes used there. I also found no increase above background
at the operator position, but I did find an appreciable increase immediately
against the column in the vicinity of the electron gun. Unfortunately the
instrument I was using was a simple ratemeter (reading in CPM/CPS) attached to a
scintillation detector and was not calibrated for doserate at the low energies I
was measuring. I found this surprising and asked the EM manager to inform the
manufacturer of our findings and seek comment. I can't remember what the outcome
was, but in any case, it was not significant from a radiation protection
viewpoint.

Regards

Alex Zapantis
Health Physicist
Supervising Scientist Group

Email : alex.zapantis@ea.gov.au
Fax : (int+) 61 2  6217 2060
Phone: (int+) 61 2 6217 2037

PO Box E305
Kingston ACT 2604
AUSTRALIA

The Supervising Scientist Group is Part of Environment Australia