Subject: Re: Re[2]: Questions on EBWs and EMs
From:    Brian_Gaulke@hc-sc.gc.ca at Internet
Date:    3/3/98  4:59 PM

Brian Gaulke
03/03/98 05:49 PM

I used to work in a US Naval shipyard (PSNS in Bremerton, WA).  We once had
some equipment show up contaminated unexpectedly.  It too was surveyed
using an instrument with a scintillation detector.  Upon investigation,
however, the readings were only elevated while the equipment was hanging
from a large portal crane's hook.  The elevated readings appeared to be
caused by static charging of the equipment due to the earth's normal 100
V/m electric field between the top of the crane and where the load was
hanging.  My guess was that the resulting electric fields were affecting
the performance of the PMT.  Might you be experiencing something similar in
the vicinity of the electron gun?

Brian R. Gaulke, CHP
Head, Dosimetry Section
Radiation Protection Bureau