Re: Re[2]: Questions on EBWs and EMs

EMs use a very low kV which determines the range of the x-rays.  The
enclosure is significant to shield the radiation generated in cases where I
surveyed using an Victoreen 471 calibrated to as low an energy as possible
(the instrument is not extremely linear at the low energies).  To maximize
the POTENTIAL of generating x-rays, use a high "Z" target in the chamber and
operate at the maximum kV.  Recommended to use a high "Z" target and the
normal kV for such targets.  This way a realistic exposure rate may be
achieved which will most likely be outside the range of the instrument
(little to nothing measured).  You also reduce the possibility of damaging
the EM.  Researchers get a little upset when you damage their EMs.

John Pickering
johnjp@email.sjsu.edu