Re[2]: Hanford cleanup strategy

     Not to start a philosphical/politcal war....but

     Clean up philosophy seems to based on at least 2 principles: (1)
     health protection - real or imagined, and (2) what many people learned
     as kids - you leave a place as you find it.  In my opinion, the costs
     involved in remediation are not always justified in terms of health
     protection.  However, the second principle seems to be a major concern
     among vocal parts of the population; politicians often listen to the
     more vocal groups.  You can't hear people if they don't speak out.

     As for the $85 billion over the next ~10 years (I'm not sure of the
     time frame) compared with the total outlay of the Federal budget over
     the same time, it is small.  If the budget is about $1.7 trillion for
     next year, then a crude estimate is that over 10 years $17 trillion
     will be spent.  $85 billion divided by $17 trillion is about 0.5% of
     total Federal Government outlays.

     This is not to say that the money coulds not be better spent.  But if
     we follow the philosphy that we should address major health hazards
     first, should we not then worry about major sources of government
     spending?  I don't have an answer.

     Jerry Falo
     jer3ry@aol.com

     All opinions are my own...........