Re: Film Dosimeters - Multiple Badges for individuals who go to multiple locations- opinions please

Mark Steinbuchel wrote:

> Soliciting opinions -
> We just had an FDA Mammo inspector ask that we have every radiologist,
> radiology technician and biomedical repair technician that we use become
> separately badged at every one of our 22 different departmental locations
> within our health care system.  We have previously treated this as one
> Hospial System with but he says that the Landauer Multiple Employer Total
> Exposure Report (METER) system that shows when they moonlight is not
> enough.  By badging each location, you could show exactly where an exposure
> was received. (Despite our QC, calibration and area monitor systems.
> Intends to write us up as a Class III violation. What do you do on this?
> Comments please, so I can present other opinions to my Radiation Safety
> Committee.
> Mark Steinbuchel, CHCM
> Alternate Radiation Safety Officer
> Huntsville Hospital System
> markst@ONC.hhsys.org
Is anyone in the facility receiving measurable doses? If the individuals
are not receiving measurable doses, then why do you need to monitor them
in several different areas. The doses accumulated in all of the areas
would more than likely show up more frequently on one badge. If you go
to many badges in several areas, then no measurable dose may be recorded
because it is spread over several badges. If you have individuals that
are getting measurable doses, then from an ALARA view it might be
prudent to find out what area they are receiving their highest dose
from. Otherwise I think it is the wrong road to travel.

These are strickly my personnal opinions.
--
James C. Graham
Radiation Safety Officer