RE: Sealed sources: extension of recommended working life

Since your question on the working life of a sealed source included mention
of Pu-238, this answer addresses alpha emitters.  A major problem with
alpha sources is that the source geometry changes.  The source atoms
diffuse through the substrate.  Room temperature diffusion in solids is
very slow at room temperature, but very important to the range of alphas
after a few years.  In the case of a beryllium window (any window material,
in fact)the window grows in thickness.  Oxide layers and other material
tends to build up on the window.  These layers are impossible to clean by
ordinary means.  The only way to extend the life of an alpha source is to
have it recalibrated against a fresh standard.  It should be calibrated for
the conditions of use.  This may require spectral as well as efficiency
measurements.

Joe Alvarez
jalvarez@auxier.com