RE: Technician Crosstrain

Mike,
I don't think there is a nuclear unit out there that hasn't experienced
the "re-engineering" you are seeing, and the ramifications on skilled
and qualified personnel.

It would seem to me that TVA would be a perfect arena for centralized
instrument repair and calibration, centralized dosimetry, etc.  I am
assuming you don't have centralized processing in these areas, based on
the tone of your message, but could be mistaken.  Obviously, you can't
centralized "meter swinging," but there are programs that can be
centralized.  With Sequoyah, Watts Bar and Brown's Ferry being fairly
close together geographically, I think you could come up with an optimum
program.  I believe Entergy does this also, you might be able to check
with them.

It is time for power plants to think outside the box, so even laundry
processing could be centralized for your facilities.

Bob Farnam
Supervisor, HP Operations
Callaway Plant

	" One group consisted of techs who solely