Re: Technician Crosstrain

Radsafers:
  Cross training is always a benefit to any organization but there is a
danger when management believes cross trained technicians are "experts" in
every aspect of radiation protection.  In the Navy we (ELTs) were trained
mechanics and cross trained in electrical and electronics.  We were not the
experts in those areas.  In fact after leaving the Navy as a LELT and
prototype instructor and spending a number of years as an ANSI 3.1
technician and RP instructor I find it very difficult to maintain my level
of cross training (plant operations and radiation protection).
  In my present position as an RP Instructor I am tasked with providing
training to RP, chemistry, dosimetry, rad waste, environmental, respiratory
and instrument calibration technicians.  I can not provide the level of
detail and experience each of these areas require.  Yes in the Navy the
ELTs did all these "duties" but the instrumentation and radiological
conditions were a factor of 10 easier.  NAVY ELTs have a learning curve to
master in the civilian world when they leave the service to reach the same
level of expertise.
  My point is what worked great in the Navy may not be possible in the
civilian world. Don't get me wrong I firmly believe that an RP technician
should learn as much as she can in radiation protection and plant
operations.  In fact it should be something a technician does
everyday...learn something new.  Being an "expert" is an attitude to excel
as much as it is experience and knowledge.  You will need to have experts
in each area of radiation protection and cross trained technicians to
assist the experts. It is a balance of knowledge, experience and each
technician's strengths that make an organization a top notch group.

   * Tony Hedges               *
  *  RPT Instructor           *
 *   loui19@dreamscape.com   *