Re: Limitations on looking for missing RAM, second attempt

Radsafers,

Perhaps this gentleman is trying to describe an incident that occurred at the
University of Minnesota back in 1989 or 1990 (I think it was U of Minn -  I
apologize if I'm mistaken Golden Gophers).  Two vials containing P-32 and S-35
were thrown into a dumpster and subsequently made it to a landfill.  I believe
NRC ruled that the risks involved in trying to recover the lost material were
not worth taking (rooting around in garbage and "what-not").  I recall that
the
University had some "problems" with the local authorities however.

Wasn't this incident published in the Health Physics Newsletter?

Regards,

-Erick Lindstrom

At 02:48 PM 3/6/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I have not received a reply to my original request, so I am trying,
again.  Of
>course, I could
>have imagined reading about the incident in a Health Physics Newsletter,
but I
>hope not.

Erick Lindstrom
Radiation Safety Officer
Montana State University
309 Montana Hall
Bozeman, MT  59717-2440
Phone: 406-994-2108
Fax: 406-994-4792
E-mail: avrel@montana.edu

Strange as it may seem, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal
education positively fortifies it.
 - Stephen Vizinczey