Re: Y2K

I would like to support what Sanford Wagner from Ortec said regarding vendor
responsibility when it comes to Year 2000 compliance issues. Canberra, like
Ortec, is very concerned about the potential impact of Y2K on our products and
is committed to bring our customers into 2000 without any disruption in service
as a result of the problem. Like Ortec, all of our current active products are
compliant or are being brought into compliance. It is important to understand
exactly what that entails from our perspective. We have developed a full
Compliance Verification Program. We have established a standard against which
we are testing our products and a complete test plan for each product. Our QA
department is fully testing each product and issuing a certificate of
compliance once testing is complete. Only after we have performed verification
testing will we declare a product compliant. It is simply not enough to tell
our customers that our products are compliant because we believe them to be so.
We are obligated to fully test all of our products (regardless of our belief
about their compliance) not only to satisfy our ISO 9001 standards but to
provide our customers with complete confidence that their Canberra products are
compliant. We are absorbing the cost (and it is significant) of this testing
effort because we believe it is the responsible thing to do. Like Ortec, we
have been in business for many years and have instruments and systems in the
field that may 20-30 years old. It would not only be impossible for us to test
all of these obsolete products but it would divert resources away from our
continuing efforts to bring state of the art technology into the marketplace.
We have, therefore, developed reasonably priced upgrade paths to assist our
customers who will need to replace older equipment.