Re: Film Dosimeters - Multiple Badges for individuals who go to

Kathleen Kaufman

> From a health & safety standpoint, I'd rather know the person's total
> exposure, than have separate bits of exposure data that may or may not
> ever get put together. The question of where a dose
> came from may not even arise if multiple badges are used, as no one
> may determine that the person even got an overexposure. If your state
> regs don't require it, you should object!

While Kathleen makes some excellent points, I'd like to add that if
one of the objectives of monitoring, beyond determining  the "total"
dose, is to identify where the maximum doses are coming from, using
that knowledge, permitting actions to be taken to reduce what is
considered unnecessary exposure, then identifying dose by location is
a useful tool. As far as multiple badges, 10CFR20, as well as state
regulations, requires that a facility, when an individual's exposure
has the potential to exceed 10% of the limit requiring monitoring,
that the individual's current years, as well as lifetime dose, be
determined. This only requires a written statement from the
individual. Personally, the latest regulations leave a lot to be
desired, since each facility has to demonstrate that the individual
will never exceed the threshold for monitoring, thus, never having to
obtain the statement from the individual. In this context, a person
could very well exceed the regulatory limits, legally.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division