Re: TMI root causes -Reply

Concerning Current simulator training and THE TMI incident, when I went
through the Westinghouse 8 week course, in 1983, our training crew
recognized the signs.  This training was for support staff, rather than
for RX operators. I don't think that any training fails to work the
scenario to extreme.

One of the supposed changes in operations as a result of TMI and of
SL-1, was that procedures did not cover all possible sequences of
events, and that basic knowledge of systems and processes must be
understood by the operators.  That was put into effect as more procedurs
with absolute compliance required. We really need more people to
understand why the procedural requirements are there, rather than blind
acceptance to a preconceived idea of what should happen. I think that
the modern simulator training exercises can help provide the necessary
experience, with appropriate education. This may be true even with the
procedure burden in the nuclear industry.

BTW, the Drifter really took the heat off of the LNT thread. We now have
the Natural Beauty of the Hanford site, The cost of clean-up to less
than natural background, the cause of TMI, and the sacred Nuclear Navy.

Good going Drifter!
Roy C. Craft, CHP
1707 Pecan ST.
Bay City, TX 77414