Re: Computers and radiation

At 08:12 03/09/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Back in the 70's, I heard a few stories of people who put digital watches and
>calculators under fluoroscopy and messed them up.  I never got any
information
>about doses.  Since it was always told as "A guy I know..." (it was never a
>woman) these stories may be in the class of Urban Legends.

That would most assuredly mangle a watch or calculator if held there for any
length of time PROVIDED that the case was plastic or very thin metal.

>I believe that pacemakers show a dose-response curve that is inverse to the
>level of IC transistor density.

Yes, and the designs have improved tremendously over the last 2 years to
provide better internal shielding and protection from a very unfortunate
event where the pacemaker does a doubble voltage pulse followed by 500ms to
2s of reset time.  That, BTW hurts the patient a bit.

Scott Kniffin

mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.