Re: TMI root causes

     I tend to agree with your views on this subject. However, being
     somewhat retentive about details, I am compelled to add one
     clarification that doesn't really make any difference in the general
     discussion.

     If memory serves me correctly, the motor operated valve on the
     pressurizer you refer to was actually a magnetically operated valve
     somewhat akin to the solenoid in an automotive starter motor. This is
     why the valve had a tendency to stick. It had no direct motive force
     for actuation like a MOV has.

     The valve was made by Dresser and was only used on two B&W plants; TMI
     and Crystal River. Having covered a great deal of work on the valve at
     Crystal River many years ago as a technician, I became somewhat
     intimate with this beast.

     Some of the old Crystal River house folks like Steve Rima can probably
     verify this information. You still out there Steve?

     Regards,

     D.J. Richards
     EPHA Team Leader
     Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site
     David.Richards@rfets.gov
     djrichards@rmac.net