Re: Decontamination of lead bricks -Reply

     I recommend against the Bartlett strip coat for the lead bricks unless
     they have a formulation that goes on thicker than their standard TLC
     paint. The problem I've had with the Bartlett stuff is that it goes on
     really thin and can be quite difficult to remove, especially on small
     articles. I should note, however, that we may not have applied it
     properly.

     The stuff that ARC used to hawk was originally from Imperial coatings
     and is now ALARA 1146 from Carboline. I've always found it does a
     better job, especially for small articles. Try calling Charlie
     Valliant or any other Carboline rep. Last number I had for Charlie was
     603-642-5809.

     Both products are incinerable and both suppliers should be willing to
     come and do a free demo for you. Charlie came up to Maine last year
     and gave us a nice demo. I assume Bartlett would do the same.

     One word of caution. If you ever use this stuff for large scale
     applications, remove it in small, manageable pieces. Many years ago we
     had some deconners using it in a reactor cavity. When time came to
     remove it, they essentially pulled it all off in one large piece. We
     ended up with a huge and very heavy lump in the bottom of the cavity
     reading several R/hr. It's a great story now but it wasn't very funny
     at the time.

     Regards,

     DJ Richards
     EPHA Team Leader
     Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site
     David.Richards@rfets.gov
     djrichards@rmac.net