Re: Y2K -- A Broader Perspective -- BAH!

     IMHO that was a pretty silly piece of drivel.  Let's examine it
     further in a variety of ways:

     Substitute Low Level Radiation for Y2K and you get a fairly good
     commentary on DU and the LNT theory.

     Change the heading from Y2K to "Warning!  Good Times E-Mail Virus" and
     look at it again.  This is a thought virus.  It has the same sinister
     quotes from unindentified experts and pleads at you to forward it
     along to "your circle of associates".

     Programmers recognized the problem 20 years ago?  Hello, McFly!
     Twenty years ago, ATMs were barely a novelty.  If the problem has been
     recognized in the programming circles for twenty years, you might
     think that people would have started using four digit dates.  Unless
     of course, it was all a sinister plot of the computer programmers!
     And the aliens in Warehouse 23 as well.

     Yes, there are going to be problems with Y2K, but they are managable
     and are not going to appear all at once on 1/1/2000 in some sort of
     apocolyptic fury.

     The trouble with Y2K is that it sounds scary and very few actually
     know enough about computers to understand the problem.  Thus the
     scare-mongers will be successful and a lot of money will be made.

     Whew, apparently I am in a diatribical mood today.  (They'll get my
     non-break-away badge lanyard over my cold, dead body.)

     Jeff King
     US DOE Facility Representative
     jeff.king@srs.gov