LLNL Pu contamination

This was forwarded to me.  I thought it might be of interest.

>Public Affairs Office writes:
>> E-line: LAB VOLUNTEERS TO CONDUCT ADDITIONAL SOIL SAMPLES
>>
>> In order to address public concerns over traces of plutonium found at Big
>> Trees Park in 1995, the Lab announced Tuesday it will conduct additional
>> soil sampling at the park as well as at a nearby arroyo.
>>
>> While the Lab would like to begin sampling immediately, details of the
>> testing and its time frame must be worked out with the U.S. Environmental
>> Protection Agency, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control
>> and the California Regional Water Quality Control Board. The Lab hopes to
>> begin sampling within the next few months.
>>
>> In gathering the soil samples, the Lab's Environmental Protection
>> Department has announced it will look deeper into the soil than previous
>> tests, to answer community concerns following a draft report released by
>> the California Department of Health Services' Environmental Health
>> Investigations Branch and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
>> Registry. The draft report questions whether higher levels of plutonium
>> might be located deeper in the soil than indicated by the original samples,
>> which were from surface to five centimeters deep.
>>
>> Although current data indicates there is no health concern as a result of
>> the plutonium at Big Trees Park, located one-half mile west of LLNL, the
>> Lab has volunteered to conduct additional sampling to address public
>> concerns. The additional testing makes good on a promise dating back to
>> previous tests in 1995, when the Lab volunteered to conduct additional
>> sampling should concerns be raised in the future.
>>
>> "As a major employer in the area, the Lab strives to be a good neighbor and
>> a responsible citizen, especially in our management of radioactive
>> materials," said Albert Lamarre, leader of the Lab's Environmental
>> Restoration Division. "Even though there is no health hazard, the Lab wants
>> to assure public health and safety are protected."
>>
>> The plutonium found at Big Trees Park is most likely due to a 1967 incident
>> in which the radioactive isotope leaked into the Livermore sewage system.
>> It is believed sludge from that sewage system may have been used as soil
>> conditioner at the park.
>>
>> Through sampling conducted at the park in 1993 and 1995, the Lab, the
>> Environmental Protection Agency and the California Department of Health

>> Services found that the amount of plutonium at its highest level is 1.02
>> picocuries per gram of dirt, well below the EPA's health-conservative
>> guideline for soil acceptable for residential use.
>>
>> Once the samples are collected, they will be split and analyzed by
>> independent laboratories. Further action to be taken will be decided upon
>> in concert with regulatory agencies such as the Environmental Protection
>> Agency.
>>

>> -END-

The opinions expressed above are well-reasoned and insightful.  Needless to
say, they are not those of my employer. (with apologies to Michael Feldman)

Andrew Karam, CHP  (karam.1@osu.edu)	(614) 292-1284 (phone)
The Ohio State University 					(614) 292-7002 (fax)
Office of Radiation Safety					"The mind is not a vessel to
1314 Kinnear Road						be filled but a fire to be
Columbus, OH  43212						lighted." (Plutarch)