Re: Gaussian Plumes - how far out can you be?

     Dave,

     One sigma out of central ordinate (on each side) accounts for about
     70% of area under Gaussian curve, so extending out to few sigma (3-4)
     should be OK.  For a quick check on your impact area, you may use a
     simple Gaussian plume equation (excluding the cross wind term) and
     calculate the centerline concentration.  Using following equation,

     tolerance limit concentration/centerline concentration =
     exp[-1/2(Y/sigmaY)**2]

     and using sigmaY curves (for stability B and downwind distance of
     interest), then calculate the crosswind distance Y for your impact
     area. If you have access to USEPA SCREEN or ISC models, you may do a
     more rigorous calculation to generate isopleths and footprint of the
     plume.

Ebrahim Esmaili, Ph.D.
Parsons Infrastructure & Technology Group Inc.
ebrahim_esmaili@parsons.com