plutonium detection

I'm often cautious about showing my ignorance, but I think I know
most of what I need to carry out my university RSO duties.
Nvertheless, I have a question.

 BobCherry wrote about:

> LOS ALAMOS, N.M. (AP) - Small amounts of plutonium were found on the clothing
of four Los Alamos National Laboratory workers after the radioactive element
leaked from a container they were cleaning.
The release was ``somewhere between pollen and a particle of cigarette
smoke,'' Danneskiold said.>

How is plutonium contamination routinely checked for?  My
understanding is that those big 'ol alphas have trouble getting
through air.  I know that when I do wipe tests for alpha emitters I
have to use a vacuum chamber.  How are these minute amounts of
material checked for?

HANDBELL PEOPLE have all gone campan-

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  501-972-3082    fax 501-972-2638