Re: plutonium detection

One way is with an alpha scintillometer. The probe, which may look a lot
like a vacuum cleaner attachment, contains a sheet of ZnS(Ag), behind an
extremely thin, ~3mg cm^-2 aluminized Mylar, light and abrasion/moisture
shield. The photonic emissions, that result when the ZnS is tickled by the
alphas, are conducted by a light pipe to a PMT. The signal from that can go
to an ordinary ratemeter. An individual, or object, can be monitored exactly
as one does with a G-M probe, i.e., by holding the probe as closely as
possible to the surface and moving it slowly along. The active area of a
typical probe-face is 50-100 cm, and a 4 Pi efficiency of 15% would be
reasonable for Pu239. Geometrically similar probes are available, that
operate on the gas proportional principle.

chris alston
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu
I do not here represent my employer.