Re: natural dioxins

At 07:59 AM 3/10/98 -0600, Andrew Karam wrote:
>There was an interesting spot on NPR this morning about US EPA researchers
>who believe they have found evidence that dioxins are formed naturally in
>some environments.  Part of the discussion revolved around the expense
>involved in trying to limit emissions to zero, especially in light of
>something now believed to be naturally-occurring.  One line specifically,
>was interesting, noting that the added expense of removing those last few
>molecules is enormous and probably adds no measureable increase in safety.
>Environmentalists, of course, were responding that, even if dioxins are
>formed naturally, we still shouldn't add any of our own.
>
>Andy
>
>The opinions expressed above are well-reasoned and insightful.  Needless to
>say, they are not those of my employer. (with apologies to Michael Feldman)
>
>Andrew Karam, CHP  (karam.1@osu.edu)	(614) 292-1284 (phone)
>The Ohio State University 					(614) 292-7002 (fax)
>Office of Radiation Safety					"The mind is not a vessel to
>1314 Kinnear Road						be filled but a fire to be
>Columbus, OH  43212						lighted." (Plutarch)

This parallel to natural radiation background radiation exposures probably
applies to many potentially deleterious agents, including asbestos. As
Bruce Ames has pointed out  repeatedly, there are many natural plant
produced toxins which are present at orders of magnitude greater than the
regulated levels of anthropogenic organics.

The other Andy (Hull)
SEP-BNL
Upton, NY  11973
Ph 516-344-4210