RE: TVA Tritium Production

Surprisingly, there may not be as many mobs as we might expect.  The
option to produce tritium in commercial power reactors was deemed
unreasonable when the DOE prepared its Draft Environmental Impact
Statement on Tritium Supply and Recycling.  During the public comment
period, several individuals and organizations strongly urged the
Department to consider this alternative for tritium production in the
future; so the alternative was analyzed in the Final EIS (and is now
part of the dual-track approach).  Of course, at this stage, the
permission from the NRC (as I understand it) for TVA is to put test
elements into the reactors to determine the feasibility of tritium
production in a power reactor, which is substantially different than the
production reactors used previously to produce tritium.  The linear
accelerator option for producing tritium is also being evaluated in
parallel with the commercial light water reactor option and is
technologically feasible.

So.....maybe no mobs in the immediate future for TVA unless the
Secretary of Energy selects the commercial light water reactor option
for tritium production in October of this year.  Then things may well
get interesting.

You've got to love the politics.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP