Re: External monitoring criteria -Reply

>  For those we are really only interested in checking for
> accidental exposure from e.g. a big spill.  So we require them to wear a
> pocket dosimeter while in our dept, and to record the value after each
> session.  This reduces the number of badges we issue and also the number
> of badges that end up untraceable bc the intern has moved on and
> forgotten to return the badge.

Area badges are OK if they are representative of the radiation
environment within the location. One must always be cognizant of what
areas the staff actually works in, and, if anything unusual does take
place with the "area badge" some kind of log would be useful to
determine the most realistic exposure to the workers.

As far as pocket chambers, be aware of the response characteristics
of what you are attempting to measure. If the facility os working
with beta sources, or low energy x-ray units, the PIC can highly
under-respond, and for all practical purposes, be entirely useless.
This is also a significant consideration if an electronic dosimeter
is being used. know the response characteristics and you will be
capable of assessing the more accurate exposures.

The biggest issue to contend with in the event the area badge or PIC
results in an exposure that needs to be reckoned with is, the
methodology used to determine the "official dose of record" for the
individual. You better have your ducks in a row when it comes time to
address this with a potential regulator, and more importantly, with
the individual who received the exposure.

In summary, area badges are adequate if they are representative of
the area to be monitored and are adequate in number. Logs of some
type are maintained and area surveys are performed on a routine
basis, and the proper calibration of a PIC or an electronic dosimeter
is implemented.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director