Re: External monitoring criteria -Reply

At 07:31 PM 3/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>In summary, area badges are adequate if they are representative of
>the area to be monitored and are adequate in number.

We are accustomed to using the TLD reading from a person's dosimeter as the
official dose of record without any further evaluation (absent any
identified processing problems) because of the way the dosimeter is worn.
However, there is a tendency to think that way about all dosimeter
measurements, and this is incorrect. Basically, when attempting to assign a
dose for a person, an area dosimeter reading is no more important or any
better than survey data or co-worker dose measurements.  It is just one
number to consider in the assessment. To use the area TLD reading as the
basis for a person's dose, adjustments based on stay-time, survey data, and
known response characteristics for various radiation types should all be
made to the TLD reading, or their exclusion justifed.

---------
Bob Flood
Dosimetry Group Leader
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center