SI Whining

Oh Please let's not go down this road again.  The HP Newsletter spent untold
amounts of ink on this topic last year.  If we are professionals and can't
even agree on what units to work in we are doing nothing to help the image
of our profession.  When publishing in the literature, use the SI units.  If
you are working with stuff every day and are more comfortable with the old
units, use them.  Use a spreadsheet or a calculator to switch between units
in which you are comfortable.  Many of us could probably use the practice.
Maybe it is time to get away from using 3 significant figures with prefixes
(an artifact from slide rule days if I am not mistaken).

As instruments are replaced, you will discover that the newer digital models
will report in either SI or old units.

The idea is to communicate effectively with the intended audiance, not be
xenophobic or whatever.

Please let's move on to significant issues that really cost money, such as
the threads on BEIR VI, LNT and Report 13.

Just my humble opinion,
Phil Egidi
ORNL/GJ
7pe@ornl.gov