Non-Radiation Worker Training Topics -Reply

I developed a simple awareness level training class for my university's custodial staff.  I covered very basic issues such as:

1.  A basic definition of what ionizing radiation is and what the tre-foil symbol looks like.

2.  How to identify a radioactive waste container in a research lab from a regular waste receptacle.

3.  The concept of ALARA, time, distance, and shielding.  With this topic I used a G-M counter, plexiglass shielding material and a check source to demonstrate how betas can be attenuated.

4.  A short discussion that compared the amounts of radiation involved with a nuclear power plant compared to the amounts that our university uses.

  I also supplied the director of the custodial staff with a list of all RAM labs on campus, and stressed the fact that they could always call me (day or night) if they had a question.

Mitch