Re: One pound of Plutonium

According to the top authority in the world, Dr. Helen Caldecott states
that it is *NOT* one pound but one GRAM which will cause cancer in every
person on the planet.                    ^^^^

I just don't understand why you people insist on trying to manipulate the
numbers to show otherwise.

Ray Russ

>Although this proves the statement regarding plutonium is the most
>deadly substance known to man or 1 pound killing everyone on earth.
>Do you really think telling people that it is ONLY going to kill
>800,000 is going to make people feel any better?
>
>People in the general public (non-science trained) react to topics
>such as those regarding radiation and things nuclear emotionally
>and not logically (otherwise the pr battles would be easy to win)
>and unfortunately, journalists feed off that emotional response.
>So by telling people this, we would be "scientifically" correct
>(LNT debate ignored at the moment as you requested) but we would
>still be losing in the public image arena.  So where is the benefit
>in doing these calculations?
>
>Mike Baker

>Michael C. Baker, Ph.D.            Safeguards Science and Technology
>                                   Nonproliferation and International
>                                           Security Division
>email:  mcbaker@lanl.gov             Los Alamos National Laboratory
>Phone:  (505) 667-7334               P.O. Box 1663, Mail Stop E540
>Fax:    (505) 665-4433                 Los Alamos, NM 87545 (USA)

				Ray Russ
		   SLAC Operational Health Physics Group

	"If we are ashamed of shoddy houses and shabby furniture,let us
	 be even more ashamed of shoddy ideas and shabby beliefs."
							- A. Einstein