Re[3]: Status of NRC/EPA 25 vs 15 mrem criteria

That is interesting, especially in light of the fact that in EPA region 8, the
decision was to ratchet down an already negotiated criterion to 15 mrem based on
the newly published OSWER directive.  This in spite of the language in the OSWER
directive which provided for "grandfather" exclusion at CERCLA sites that had
other criterion previously negotiated.

Without a debate about the appropriateness of 10,15, 25 or any other annual dose
based "standard", the thing that perverts justice and thwarts and real progress
in dealing with the cleanup issues (be they risk or politically based) is the
lack of a STANDARD.

We spend countless hours in frustration and untold dollars chasing an ever
vacillating target.  At some point, we must wake up to the fact that without
some consistent regulatory framework, the frustration will continue.  And I know
first hand that it is just as frustrating for logical minded regulators as it is
for those who are trying to comply.

Jeff Lively
Health Physicist
MACTEC-ERS