SI-units - last (?) words from Boudewijn

RadSafers,

It was the first time I had something to say to RadSafe and I really did not
know what happened: I should have been sitting behind my PC since sending it
to reply to your comments right away, but I had to work (didn't you?). I did
learn a lot:

a. You Americans have to use these old units because the Law tells you to do
that. Just that is the only answer I need. Remember I am a safety
supervisor, looking for guys who don't follow the Law! And I do know that
some things in the Law are ridiculous, but anyhow we have to follow.....

b. Some of you Americans seem to think that they have to be struggling
against the ROW. No, the Europeans don't want to be your enemy and we are
not against you. Indeed you don't have to defend yourself against us
(prosecution mania???). The SI-change was not a dictate of a pontificating
group, but merely a voted choice by an International group of
representatives like you and me. If the (chosen) Government would change the
color of the top traffic light, would you drive on saying: It is not red?

c. In Europe we still use equipment with old units on the scales. We have
learnt to switch between the old and new system, BUT we talk/write in the
SI-units. We are multilingual but know that it's no use speaking our native
language to people abroad. So we talk one language (accidentally English)
and use one kind of units.

d. A few Americans are so self assured, that they find that it is
un-American to be International! I feel a lot of pity for those people.
Humility is what we have learnt from Jesus. Especially when one is in a
commercial job (who is not?), a lot of modesty is mandatory. One does not
catch flies using vinegar.

e. One thought that because ICRP is seated in Austria in Europe, it is not
there for the USA. Sorry, wrong again!

f.    Not only the USA keeps on using the old units, but also Japan, former
Sovjet Union, Saudi Arabia. You are in good company!

g. The same man who said : 'Lets deal with facts and issues, and refrain
from personal attacks.'
also asked me: 'Or, is the question being asked since YOU have a problem
distinguishing between SI-units and OUR current method?' -- I was born 49
years ago and started 30 years ago in the old units!

h. Some people see SEX in anything, even SI-units, some don't. One even
thinks that it would be interesting IF it would improve his sex-live. Need
any help????

i. Concluding: There is hope. I was told that in 20 to 50 years it might be
possible that the Laws in the USA would change to the new units. Then maybe
even Japan , Russia and Saudi Arabia might change too...... By that time the
people of the United States of Europe might already have left this silly
planet.

j. I myself found this an interesting thread. I'm thinking of a new one
already!

k. If anyone finds that I'm rude, cruel, stupid, mindless, uneducated or
wrong: they are right.

l. I never ever have lied.

Best regards to you all from,
 Arie (Boudewijn) Klerk
 Radiation health physics supervisor at Dutch MOD
 Radiation health physics teacher at Hogeschool Haarlem
 Address: Perenlaan 10, 3723 VJ Bilthoven, Netherlands
 tel. +31 30 2288633 (home), fax. +31 346 217848 (work)
 cellular: +31 653 970159,  email: boudewijn.klerk@tip.nl
 ICQ# 3441072
    <<< RADIATION: it is hardly a danger, but merely a risk ...  >>>