Re: Source for Type B Packages

You wrote:

>I need the name or phone number of a company that sells Type B shipping
>containers.

Most Type B packages are NRC approved.  I believe that the NRC can supply a
list of "Certificates of Compliance" for these packages.  However, that is
only part of what you need.  The use of a NRC approved package is governed
by
10 CFR 71.12.  This section grants a "general license" to any NRC licensee,
subject to certain requirements.  The most challenging is found in 10 CFR
71.12(b):  "This general license applies only to a licensee who has a
quality
assurance program approved by the Commission as satisfying the provisions of
subpart H of this part."

There are some exceptions; see 49 CFR 173.416.

A lot depends on what and to whom you're shipping.  For example, if you're
returning a source to a vendor, the vendor may be licensed to take
possession
of the source at your location and act as the shipper.

If you know who sent the material, they're a good place to start.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com