Help! Sternglass and Gofman References

Hi RadSafers,

Our local sewer plant is about to get a final permit from the Dept. of Env. Protection to incinerate their sewage sludge.  The Enviro. Wacos here are claiming that the nasty radioactive materials excreted from nuclear medicine patients will cause everyone to come down with cancer and worse.  Of course they are presenting the evidence of Sternglass & Gofman, etc. to support their outrageous claims.  The sewer authority just sent me a large packet of their "Evidence" which primarily consists of articles published in the "Bulletin of Atomic Scientists" and other non-peer reviewed publications and they want me to testify at the hearing to refute their claims.

I was hoping that someone on RadSafe might have a handy list of good references which refute their claims, especially peer-reviewed papers.  I've got a copy of Dr. Ralph Lapp's book "The Radiation Controversy" and part of BEIR III which mildly dismisses Sternglass's claims but would really like to get something more authoritative.  I'm scheduled to testify at the hearing this Friday, March 27th.

Please reply to me privately at the address below because I'm currently not subscribed to RadSafe.  I'm working on my GammaKnife license and the timing of this hearing couldn't be worse.  The School of Medicine's Library is right across the street from my office so a list of citations is all I need.  I should be able to find most any reference.

Thanks for any leads you can offer,

Mike Bohan
Radiation Safety Officer
Yale-New Haven Hospital