Noise Levels from Linacs

Radsafers,

The below message was posted on the Industrial Hygiene listserver. Here
is an opportunity for hospital HPs to give some meaningful feedback on
noise from linacs. Please respond to Andrea at Varian, not to Wes.

Regards,
Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.

--------------------

I am currently working with one of our design engineers on a project
involving a Clinac.  We make clinacs and they are used by hospitals to
treat patients with cancer.  Does anyone who works in or with hospitals
have any data on acceptable noise levels in radiation treatment rooms.
The
engineer is trying to develop a baseline noise specification to give the
the manufacturer of pumps that are connected to our machine.  I
conducted a
noise level survey and also used an octave band analyzer.  The highest
level of noise was in the 500 Hz range at it was 65 dB.  Any comments or

If you reply directly to me I promise to summarize the comments for the
IH
list by the end of the week.

Much Thanks
Andrea Contrino