RE: rem vs. rad

Hi, Keith.

I would think that we would run into a problem eventually at high doses
when overkill becomes a problem.  At some point, with the cells being
killed by the radiation, the probability of cancer induction/mortality
in these same cells is zero and the overall risk would be lessened,
resulting in a lower "RBE" with cancer as the endpoint.  Basically, we
have competing biological effects that are more likely at the higher
doses.  So while we can theoretically calculate dose equivalent at any
absorbed dose,  the conclusions that we draw from it at high absorbed
doses would be limited at some point, although I'm not sure what that
point would be.  For example, would the exceedance of any nonstochastic
threshold meet the test?

Just to be on the safe side, I think I'll just try to avoid getting a
high absorbed dose.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company