Re[2]: When does "rem" no longer apply?

I guess the best way to look at this issue is to try and
determine what question you want to answer.  If you are
looking for acute (deterministic or non-stochastic) effects
then you should use units of absorbed dose (i.e., rad or
Gray) and if you are looking for stochastic effects then the
units of equivalent dose (i.e., rem or Sievert).

If the question concerns posting then you have some leeway
at least in DOE.  I would say that if one could make the
decision to change the posting from rem to rad at levels
between 20 rad per hour to 100 rad per hour.  Clearly at
500rad per hour the units shopuld be posted in rad per 10
CFR 835.

Dan Burnfield
danb@dnfsb.gov