Static Magnetic Fields in MRI suite where unit was removed

A friend has contacted me with an interesting question.  She is in charge
of an Imaging department in which a MRI unit was recently removed and a
new one was located in an adjacent room.  The management wishes to use
the old MRI room for another use such as office space.  However, the room
is still magnetized.  The service people have tried to "deGauss" it twice
and have lowered the readings to 1 - 4 Gauss depending on position in the
room.

We would like to know if these levels should be considered safe for
employees.  Are there any established limits for exposure to static
magnetic fields such as this?  If so, what are they and which entity
recommends/enforces them?  Would anyone like to comment on the
possibility of effects on equipment such as computers, disks, CRT's,
pacemakers, etc.