Fwd: uranium in hair

Paul -

I've looked into this issue with the toxicology folks for the state (of
Washington).  The one issue that appears clear is that hair is very easy
to contaminate and yield false results (i.e. shampoos, cross
contamination, etc.).  Although I have not come across "accepted" values,
I have come across some articles that provide a good reference and
discussion.  One in particular, A.R. Byrne and L. Benedik, reported the
following range of results in their controls for uranium in hair:   2.7
to 33 ęg/kg with a mean of 13.6 +/- 8.5 and a median of 11.5.  They also
suggested that using NIES No. 5 Hair Reference material might reduce the
"wide spread of results" - for which they found a value of 10.3 +/- 1.4
ng/g.  The reference for this article is Byrne and Benedik, Uranium
content of blood, urine, and hair of exposed and non-exposed persons
determined by radiochemical neutron activation analysis, with emphasis on
quality control, The Science of the total Environment, 107 (1991)
143-157.  Other relevant articles may be located by performing a lit
search for I.M. Fisenne and/or G.A. Welford in Radiat. Protection
Dosimetry and Health Physics.

The toxicology group for the state (of WA) put together a listing of hair
metals concentrations with references for a variety of elements - if you
would like I could fax you this info (about three pages).  The
concentration they report is the range from Byrne and Benedik.

Sincerely,
Andrew H. Thatcher, MSHP, CHP
Washington Department of Health
360-236-3255 voice*
360-236-2255 fax*
dht0303@doh.wa.gov
*new number

                  ***** Original Message Follows *****

Radsafers -- does anyone have an accepted value for uranium in hair?
How about uranium in hair colorants?
We received some information from a person who lives near a nuclear
plant and believes he has been
exposed to uranium.  The individual had hair samples analyzed from a
"laboratory" in Chicago that found "elevated uranium"
in the hair.

thanks

paul charp (pac4@cdc.gov)