Re: uranium in hair

I believe the EPA monitors U in drinking water as part of the SDWA.  I
recall compiling a lot of this data a while back, and noted a lot of
variation in both U and Ra concentrations from less than MDA to 50 or
100 pCi/l.  The local water supplier would likely have this information,
though you may have to ask a bunch of them to find the person who files
the results.

Rob Gunter

>They also stated that almost all the samples they test from Califonia
show
>"elevated" levels.  The people we have heard from do not live near
(within 50
>miles of) nuclear power plants, nor was there any other information
provided
>by these people that would cause one to expect elevated levels.
My personal
>guess?  People in some regions of the country are exposed to higher
levels of
>naturally occurring U than in other regions through food and water.
>
>The lab in Chicago had no information regarding what would cause higher
levels
>in some portions of the population than others, nor did they have any
>information regarding what level one might actually expect some
physical
>consequence.

Robert J. Gunter, M.Sc.
Health Physicist