RE: Road kill sampling method:

The INEEL used that method up until the Environmental Sciences Branch of
the Radiological and Environmental Sciences Laboratory was spun off as a
private foundation.  I was the one who did it.  However, I chose to stay
rather than go, and lost track of it at that point (About three years
ago).  I don't know if it is still being done, but the "carrion luggage"
(sample kit) was transferred to them.

I do not recall if the question of it being a 'comprehensive' sample was
raised, but it was considered a sufficient sample.  In our case, it was
mostly pronghorns, a smaller fraction deer, and one elk in the time over
which I compiled the records (about ten or so years).

Liver, muscle, and thyroid were sampled for gamma spec. analysis, and
the age and physical condition of the animal were rated according to
standardized methods, for the ecological information.

No radionuclides were found which were due to Site activities, just the
ubiquitous Cs137 from past fallout. (And the 'usual suspects' of NORM.)
This is all available from the Site environmental reports.

Dave Neil	                                Werner Heisenberg: "We
are not sure
neildm@id.doe.gov	                which side of the road the
chicken was
maclir@if.rmci.net	                on, but it was moving very