Re: The Friendly Atom

     Well Andy, some of us were even grown up (though just barely) in 1954,
     and I remember the friendly atom pretty well.  The friendly atom image
     wasn't altogether a good idea: the benefits of the "peaceful atom"
     were somewhat overstated, and the adverse effects downplayed or
     concealed altogether.  In 1959, Edward Teller lectured at my graduate
     school and said, literally, that the only way Sr-90 could get into
     milk was from cow bone chips in the milk!

     Unfortunately the antis took a leaf from the pro-nuke book and started
     exaggerating just when some of the more blatant pro-nuke exaggerations
     were being exposed.  Many uninformed people are more likely to believe
     negative exaggerations than positive ones, so it has become more
     difficult to counter them.  Also, it's hard to prove or demonstrate
     the absence of something.

     I have no original or earth-shattering suggestions.  However it is
     wise always to tell the truth, to keep pointing out the exaggerations,
     and to put some perspective on risk.  The perspective I suggest is
     that a risk <0.001 is essentially intuitively zero: e.g., if the
     weather man predicts 10% chance of rain, do you think it's going to
     rain?  No.  If you have a disease with a 95% recovery rate, do you
     think you are going to get well?  Of course.  I am also coming to the
     conclusion that no respectable, credible, honest scientist can be
     found any longer on the anti-nuke side, because, as more and more
     questions are answered, the science is on the pro-nuke side.

     Clearly only my own opinion

     Ruth F. Weiner
     Transportation Systems Department
     Sandia National Laboratories