Re[2]: Road kill sampling method: -Reply

     As I understand it, and I'm going to hedge a bit since the Facility in
     question is no longer my direct area of cognizance, this would be
     200,000 Disintegrations per minute Beta-Gamma as read off of a
     hand-held count rate meter with the probe in close proximity (~1 cm)
     to the surface.  Typically these units would be reported as per a
     given area, but this gets left off fairly often in common practice
     around here (100 cm^2 is a good assumption).  Can't tell you what
     instrument was used, since I wasn't there at the time.  The retention
     basin the beastie was found in collects run-off from the Tank Farms on
     site and could thus theoretically contain just about any nuclide with
     a half-life of about a year or more.  In general, Cs-137 and Sr-90 are
     the main actors, though others show up now and then.

     Had the alligator been found outside of a Radiological Buffer Area
     (the retention basin is posted as a Contamination Area and the
     surrounding area is an RBA), it would most likely have been a
     reportable event per DOE's Occurrence Reporting and Processing System.

     Hope this helps,
     Jeff King
     US DOE Facility Representative
     Savannah River Operations Office