Re: Non-ionizing radiation

The "bottom line" seems to be that no one has been able to demonstrate a
consistent dose-response relationship between the magnetic field generated by AC
and any kind of cancer.  I seem to recall an issue of either HEALTH PHYSICS or
RISK ANALYSIS devoted to the subject, about 2 years ago. Bonneville did a
thorough animal study and found nothing. The Wertheimer- Leeper study, which is
often cited by those who want to think EM radiation gives one cancer, purported
to find clusters of childhood leukemias in neighborhoods where ther was a visual
proximity to power lines (that is, the power lines looked to be close to those
houses where the childen had leukemia...).  Further investigation of these
neighborhooods could not find a correlation between magnetic field and leukemia.
 Also, the magnetic,field dose from an ordinary AC appliance (hair dryer,
electric blanket, etc) is usually a lot more than from a powerline, because the
receptor is a lot closer to the appliance.

I thought the issue was dead.

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth F. Weiner
Transportation Systems Department