Static eliminator in copy machines -Reply, Terminology

Good Morning,

Mr. Jo asked about "static eliminators that contain radioactive material."  This
prompts me to suggest a more careful use of the language.  We know that all real
material is radioactive, yet we use the expression "radioactive material" as though
we are discussing something special and perhaps unusual.  This does not pose
difficulties in understanding Mr. Jo's question but it complicates life in general,
specifically in communications with patients, members of the public, and others.  So
long as people think of  "radioactive material" as something new, we can expect
our public relations problems to grow.  It is not much more difficult to be more
specific: "especially radioactive," "sealed source," "licensed radioactive material,"
etc.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov