RE: Accuracy of GPS with respect to surveys

The GPS can be operated in differential mode which allows for accuracy down
to a few centimeters.  Differential mode requires the use of a second
receiver which provides a correction to the satellite signals.  The second
signal is broadcast from a land based transmitter whose location is
accurately known.

Check with some of the local surveyors.  This differential GPS technology is
apparently in wide spread use.

Jim Key