10 CFR 30.71 Revisited

Radsafers,

Thank you for the many responses regarding the rationale behind
classifying Po-210 as a byproduct material per 10 CFR 30.71 (Schedule B).
It appears that most of the nuclides in that list are either fission
products, activation products, or in the case of Po-210, a daughter
from an activation product.

I am curious, however, about the origin of Schedule B as we know it.
Does anyone out there (particularly NRC folks)know how Schedule B was
formulated? In other words, what was the reasoning behind the selection
of nuclides in that list?

Several federal register notices from 1970, 1971, and 1994 are
referenced at the bottom of the current Schedule B. I have copies of
these, and they do not answer the above question. In addition, I have
obtained copies of old AEC/R documents that explain the technical
basis for the activity limits. Unfortunately, these do not explain how
the nuclides were chosen. As far as I can tell, the nuclides were
essentially taken from NBS 69 (which was used to determine
the current limits).

I'd appreciate any insight! Best Regards,
erik

--
Erik F. Shores
ESH-12 Radiological Engineering