RE: neutron flux in space -Reply

Philip,

Scott seems to have provided a good answer, but I would put it a little more
succinctly.  When I was working the space beat, activation of spacecraft
components was but a matter of academic interest.  Clearly, if the activation
produces dangerous levels of radiation, the doses from the initial radiation which
produced the activation would have been unacceptably high.  Of course, that does
not really answer your question because we were not worried about the radiation
from check sources, either.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov