RE: D2O

Good morning everyone,

Point 1
As far as I know, the main hazard from D2O (which would be even worse
with T2O) is that the labile D+ or D3O+ ions are heavier than the usual
H+ or H3O+ ions that are found in all aqueous systems. Since many
processes within the human body rely on transferring H+ ions around
molecules or between molecules, the increase in mass of the ion results
in a decrease in the speed that this occurs. Therefore such processes
slow down. This is not a problem, say, in being able to flex your
finger muscles, but it is a big problem in the nervous system and the
control of metabolic rate processes. Increase the D2O concentration
high enough and the reaction rate within the nervous system and/or the
metabolic rate will slow down to the point where the organism becomes
non-viable. That is to say it dies!

The more complex the organism, the more sensetive it is to increased
levels of D2O. Needless to say, this is not an absolute rule, since
chlorella algae actually prefers D2O to H2O and T2O to D2O. Many
bacteria are also similarly perverse. Carp, however cannot tolerate
>30% D2O.

The key here is reation kinetics, since doubling the mass of one of the
components will have a far greater effect on a reation rate than
increaing it by 1/12 (if you substitute C-13 for C-12; mice have been
raised, and can survive with only C-13 in their organism). A minor
effect is the position of chemical equilibrium within a system, but
this is far overshadowed by the kinetic effect.

Point 2
Drinking D2O will have one other interesting effect. As the D2O makes
its way around the body it gets around to the balance tubes in the
ears. These are very sensetive to micro changes in density, mass,
acceleration and so on. Because of this, until the subject either
becomes wholly deuterated or voids the D2O, they become dizzy and
disorientated and feel as if they are drunk!

I have no information on points 3 & 4

Given the cost of D2O, it would seem a fairly expensive way of killing
someone, or, for that matter, getting drunk.

I hope that this provides a little light relief for the weekend.

Best wishes
Simon Jerome
National Physical Laboratory, UK

Email:	simon.jerome@npl.co.uk