Children in Research Areas

Radsafers:

With the "bring your child to work days" and working parents dealing with
their children's school vacation days, we have decided to revise our policy
regarding children in research areas.   Basically, a child under the age of
15 is not permitted in an area where biologicals, radioactives and
chemicals are used  and/or where  risk of physical injury is possible.
Children between the ages of 15 and 18 are permitted access for
educational/work related activities if the RSC approves, parental consent
is obtained and the responsible investigator assumes the task of direct
supervision ( in writing) of the child.  My review of the NRC regs
indicates there is no direct prohibition of minors in radioactive materials
use areas if their exposures are kept below general public limits and
surveys are conducted to demonstrate this to be true.  The only direct
reference to minors in 10 CFR 20 relates to minors as employees.   Has
anyone out there had any experience with problems in this area..NRC
violations, etc.??   There are many other issues to consider...we have even
considered the question of State Statutes regarding risk of injury to a
minor and possible criminal prosecution of a CEO who has permitted a child
to enter an area where known hazards exist.