Re: The December 14 Gamma Ray Burst

Most likely it is a unit used by astronomers only.  The word "crab" brings to
mind the Crab Nebula which exploded a few hundred years ago and was
described by the ancient Chinese as a "Guest Star".

<< >You may have heard about the mysterious gamma ray burst
 >recorded last December 14 but just reported recently. In a
 >report about it that I have just read is a reference which
 >goes like this:
 >
 >"The peak of the X-ray flux,...  ..., was about 1 Crab."
 >
 >Is there anyone who knows what this unit is and its history.
 >I looked through many old physics books and could not find
 >this unit for X-ray flux.

                                                R. Holloway
                                                Nevada Technical Associates,
Inc.