Re: Children in Research Areas

At 08:32 AM 5/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Radsafers:
>
>With the "bring your child to work days" and working parents dealing with
>their children's school vacation days, we have decided to revise our policy
>regarding children in research areas.   Basically, a child under the age of
>15 is not permitted in an area where biologicals, radioactives and
>chemicals are used  and/or where  risk of physical injury is possible.
>Children between the ages of 15 and 18 are permitted access for
>educational/work related activities if the RSC approves, parental consent
>is obtained and the responsible investigator assumes the task of direct
>supervision ( in writing) of the child.  My review of the NRC regs
>indicates there is no direct prohibition of minors in radioactive materials
>use areas if their exposures are kept below general public limits and
>surveys are conducted to demonstrate this to be true.  The only direct
>reference to minors in 10 CFR 20 relates to minors as employees.   Has
>anyone out there had any experience with problems in this area..NRC
>violations, etc.??   There are many other issues to consider...we have even
>considered the question of State Statutes regarding risk of injury to a
>minor and possible criminal prosecution of a CEO who has permitted a child
>to enter an area where known hazards exist.

===========
Children in Research Areas, children visiting patients and apprentices
training for employment

My contribution to your question is to quote the international
recommendation as stated in the International Basic Safety Standards IAEA
Safety Series 115, 1996.

1) page 36 I.19 and I.20, mention the  conditions for young persons

I.19 - No person under the age of 16 shall be subjected to occupational
exposure.

I.20 - No person under the age of 18 years shall be allowed to work in a
controlled area unless supervised  and then only for the purpose of training

2) page 91, II-6 mention the dose limits

For apprentices of 16 to 18 years of age who are training for employment
involving exposure to radiation and for students of age 16 to 18 who are
required to use sources in the course of their studies, the occupational
exposure shall be  so controlled that the following limits be not exceed:

a) an effective dose of 6 mSv in a year;
b) an equivalent dose to the lens of the eye of 50 mSv in a year; and
c) an equivalent dose to the extremities or the skin of 150 mSv in a year

3) page 93, II-9 mention dose limitation for comforters and visitors of patients

The dose to children visiting patients who have ingested radioactive
materials should be similarly constrained to less than 1 mSv

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>