Re[2]: French probe nuclear rail shipments

     In the U. S., transportation is regulated by 10 CFR Part 71.  There is
     external radiation, and in the U. S. these shipments would probably be
     limited by an external dose rate of 50 mrem/hr one meter from the
     surface, or perhaps a surface dose rate of 200 mrem/hr.  I don't know
     how this compares in France.  We did some measurements in the near
     field, and the dose decreases as 1/r until you are about 4 meters from
     the container, and as the square of that at longer distances.  "r" is
     the perpendicular distance of the receptor from the center of the long
     edge of an essentially cylindrical cask; the dose is smaller at other
     points.

     Ruth F. Weiner
     Transportation Systems Department
     Sandia National Laboratories